Lately I have been struggling to find my purpose. I find myself riding an emotional roller coaster of high and low feelings as I contemplate the direction that my journey is going.
In the internal soul searching that I have been doing, I have identified that I am lacking current life goals. I do have some short term goals, but I have not yet established medium and long term goals. As a result, I feel like I am traveling without a road map to help me figure out how to find my way.
In my search I found this website by mind tools on how to set “SMART” goals.
A useful way of making goals more powerful is to use the SMART mnemonic. While there are plenty of variants (some of which we’ve included in parenthesis), SMART usually stands for:
- S – Specific (or Significant).
- M – Measurable (or Meaningful).
- A – Attainable (or Action-Oriented).
- R – Relevant (or Rewarding).
- T – Time-bound (or Trackable).
For example, instead of having “To sail around the world” as a goal, it’s more powerful to say “To have completed my trip around the world by December 31, 2015.” Obviously, this will only be attainable if a lot of preparation has been completed beforehand!
What better time that to start making goals than the present? Here are a few of my goals to start with:
- Publish at least 3 blogs per week
- Post at least 1 new vlog per week
- Read 1 book per month
- Establish 2 new medium term goals by the end of May
- Identify 1 new long term goal by the end of May
Have you recently set any new goals?