I have decided that I am going to make Friday’s posts about different recipes that I have decided tried. What better way to start than with the truly North American food of Mac & Cheese? This recipe comes from the January/February 2013 issue of Men’s Health magazine.
One of my favourite parts about this recipe is the fact that there is only 595 calories per serving and much less fat and sodium than what you would find in your favourite restaurants version of this dish.
I hope that you have the opportunity to try this recipe and enjoy.
- 2 cups macaroni
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- pepper to taste
1. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain and set aside.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk and cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly until sauce thickens. Add the Gruyere, cheddar and mozzarella cheese and stir until it all melts.
3. Remove from heat, stir in yogurt and pasta. Pour mixture into baking dish. Top with panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake on broil until the bread crumbs are golden brown.